Song Analysis: Grenade

microphone
“microphone” by TOM81115 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Summary

• I chose to summarize Bruno Mars’s song Grenade because it was on the latest album that I downloaded to my phone.

Song Analysis

TOPICMY RESPONSES
SONG TITLEGrenade
COMPOSER(S)Andrew Wyatt, Ari Levine, Brody Brown, Bruno Mars, Claude Kelly, Philip Lawrence
YEAR2010
COUNTRYUnited States
If you could work on this song (change it), what would you change and why?I think the entire arrangement and singing of the song sounds amazing and catchy as heck. Though the lyrics are a bit cringy, that’s how a lot of love songs are though.
What is the song GENRE?Pop
What is the song KEY?D-minor
What is the song TEMPO?108bpm
What do you like about the RHYTHM?The beats of the song match the mood of the song fantastically. From verse to chorus the rhythm builds up and matches the tone.
What do you like about the ARRANGEMENT?Both the chorus and verse are built on excellent sounding patterns that change slightly. The song really shines when special patterns or one-shot notes appear, as the song’s base is already great.
What do you like about the MIX?Everything in the song feels at the right volume and no part of the song overshadows or damages the other
What do you like about the TIMBRE of some or all of the instruments?The piano throughout the song sounded very calm and pop-like, not really super sharp or out there, really blending in with the song well.
What do you like about the PITCH of some or all of the instruments or vocals?Bruno Mars is an excellent singer at the high pitch, this song definitely showcases that during the chorus.
Are there particular TRACK(S) that stand out?I absolutely love the choir in the background, they sound great when paired with Bruno’s lovely singing voice.
Finally, what do you like about the overall COMPOSITION?Grenade is absolutely a standard pop song but it really shines when Bruno takes the handle and shows off what the song can really do if given the opportunity to raise it’s pitch

“A song is a musical composition intended to be performed by the human voice. This is often done at distinct and fixed pitches (melodies) using patterns of sound and silence. Songs contain various forms, such as those including the repetition and variation of sections.” wikipedia.org/wiki/Song